There has been a Mill at Tuddenham for around 1,000 years - the earliest records being documented in the Doomsday book of 1086. Since its inception, the building has evolved, been extended and its use changed from a working mill into a contemporary restaurant and bedrooms.
The location for the Mill was originally chosen because of the swift flowing stream which provided power for its water wheel and grinding stones. The present structure was erected in 1775 by Collins Millwrights of Melton and its production capacity increased in 1855, when the 53 foot chimney was installed for a steam engine to drive 3 further sets of grindstones. The Mill continued grinding until 1954, when it became derelict. In 1972 it was converted into a restaurant and by good fortune the water wheel, still working, was retained.
To this day, water continues to play an important part in the charm and daily life of the Mill. Alongside the structural refurbishment, the Mill stream has been re-excavated, with centuries of silt and debris removed creating the perfect natural haven for a wide diversity of wildlife including otters, herons and fish.
The sympathetic refurbishment by Agellus Hotels is breathing new life into this historic building so it can be enjoyed for many more centuries to come. The meticulous renovation has involved a team of architects, engineers and craftsmen working closely with planners and conservation officers to ensure that Tuddenham Mill is re-invigorated for the twenty first century without losing any of its historical integrity. Modern design sits hand in hand with original features which ensure its past is not forgotten. There are glimpses of history throughout the Mill, from the exposed beams in the spacious bedrooms, through to the cast iron water wheel which has been imaginatively brought back to life through the use of atmospheric lighting and stylish glass walls.